Using Winamp to Play Music in A432

There is an app for phones that allows you to tune music down in semitones to get A440 music to play in A432.  I don't use my phone for apps though.  I like doing this only on my computer.  

(I don't like the tendency for people to do everything on their phones.  I don't like having my phone with me everywhere I go.  I like being unreachable.  I'm definitely not a 'phone guy.')

VLC only goes to one decimal place, so isn't accurate enough.  Winamp, however, can go to two decimal places, so is excellent to use for playing music in A432, or very close to A432.  The exact semitones going down in pitch from 440hz to 432hz is -0.31767.  Winamp has a plugin that can be downloaded that goes down up to two decimal places, allowing for -.32 semitones. 

First, of course download Winamp.  Next, download the plugin for Winamp called PaceMaker.  Then, go into Winamp's Options, then Preferences, and then DSP/Effect on the left drop-down, and then activate it:

Then, this will show up:

 

 

"Memorize above setting for each song" needs to be red, or otherwise it switches back to zero at the next song.  The "St" to the right of the pitch is for Semitones.  

The problem with initially installing this is that in order to go two decimal places, it has to be registered, which costs about $6.

After purchasing and getting the name and registration code in an email, click on the button in between "Reset" and the question mark button on the bottom right of the PaceMaker that looks like a wrench.  (This can also be used to get to the Register link.)  Then, enter the name and code in the Register section.  Then, set all of the decimals to hundredths in the "Sliders" section for pitch:

 


After this, the pitch bar will let you go to hundredths.  The adjustment is then easily made by clicking the left arrow for pitch until it reaches -.32.

I checked the perceived accuracy by playing an A432 frequency with FM synthesis in SoundForge while playing a song in Winamp with the pitch change, and the SoundForge tone harmonized perfectly to the ear.

This is so much easier to do than to have to change the pitch down on every single audio file in SoundForge!

(I understand that tuning it down isn't pure A432 music, as it has to be originally made in A432 to be completely accurate, but it's better than nothing.  Tuning it down definitely still has a positive effect.)

Comments

Popular Posts

Owning Our Own Power And Joining The Galactic Family

Enjoy the Clearing! (Updated on 09/15)